Thursday, March 30, 2017

Camp NaNoWriMo 2017

Guys. Guys. I just realized that Camp NaNoWriMo is happening in a few days.

Considering that it's mentioned many times in the semester, I think it's (hopefully) not too late to mention that, starting April 1st (and it's no joke) is Camp NaNoWriMo. Similar to the regular NaNoWriMo in November, you are given a writing goal to complete during the month.

However, 50,000 words in a month? Not everyone can do that (including me).

Camp NaNoWriMo is different though. You choose the word count goal that you want to complete. 50k words not doable? Change it to 40k. Or 30k. Or even 10k if you can't manage that. Or set your goal to be in minutes or hours instead of words (for those hurting for time). Or lines (for you poetically inclined people). Or pages, if you prefer to see progress that way. It's super flexible and you have no excuse for not having at least attempted it.

What's amazing about it is regardless of the goal you've entered in your settings for Camp NaNoWriMo, if you complete it you can still get the "winner's prizes" at the end of the month.

And what's even more amazing about Camp NaNoWriMo?

After filling out your profile and your project's information you have the option to get sorted into a cabin based on your answers to people who have similar writing tastes as you. Or completely random, if you're into that kind of thing.

Of even make up a cabin with people you know. (Hint, hint.)

There's a communal "shout box" of sorts that you have with your cabin mates, so if you want to ask the other writers for some advice? Feel free to use it. Want to rant about how Starbucks failed to spell your name right on the cup for the umpteenth time as you were just going to sit down and write your novel? Go right on ahead. Got a quote you think would help others? You know the drill.

If any of you guys are interested and want to join my cabin for a month of writing and crying about failing daily word-count quotas with the occasional word of encouragement (and trying to keep up with all the experiments for Creative Writing), you should totally tell me your username for your NaNoWriMo account (though make sure you create your profile and enter information about your novel and keep that bottom box for cabin options unchecked, since those are the requirements for me to send an invite).

Hello, my username is Arelle, and I am a part of cabin "INSERT COOL CABIN NAME HERE." I created a brand new account for this instead using my old account from NaNoWriMos past. None shall see the horror that is my old projects. Muahahahaha!

And don't worry, I can change cabin names. I just hate naming things.

You should totally do it. You're already writing for creative writing, right? Might as well get something extra out of it while you're at it.

Please. I'm so lonely in my cabin. I'm going to end up shoving all the bed bunks together and have my own bed-bunk fortress of loneliness.

And fret not should April come around and you want to join a private cabin. If you ever decide anytime during the month of April that you want to join, cabin administrators (like me) are still able to send out invitations.

EDIT: Just realized that I didn't put a link to Camp NaNoWriMo, for those lazy like me, haha.

Camp NaNoWriMo

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I'd love to join your cabin! my username is Emilyowl7. what setting do I put for the cabin? I'm assuming your cabin is private and I don't want to be assigned to someone else's. Sorry I have so many questions. I'm challenged when it comes to technology ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's alright! I already sent the cabin invite, so next time you log onto your account, it should show up. Welcome aboard!

      Delete
  2. Add me to the best cabin ever please! My username is sarahelizabeth1. We should get our cabin together at some point and have a write off where we try to write as much as possible and the winner gets eternal glory or something like that. Anyways I'm super excited about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! Yeah! NaNo Campers unite!

      I really like that write off idea. That needs to be a thing! 100% yes!

      I sent an invite, so you should be getting it once you log in next time. If not, let me know and we can try to figure out what happened.

      Delete
  3. All right, I signed up. My username is: profwade

    ReplyDelete