Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Word Count Wednesday - 10 May 2017

Things I worked on last week:
  • Chapter 9 of that project: 1253 words (currently at 1491)
It's slow going, but at least it wasn't as bad as last week.


What am I working on?

Considering that it's finals week, probably not a lot. Or, if it looks like my grade for physics is going to hold up, then probably a whole bunch. If the latter ends up being the case, then I'm going to try to work on everything that isn't finished: The Blighted Earth, its companion piece As the Winds Blow (I'm trying to find a decent title), the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure story that I started a while ago, the idea I've been hesitating to get started on, and maybe complete that "In Medias Res" experiment since I've gotten a bit of inspiration for it recently.


How do I feel about the process?

I'm still trying to recover from the sudden hit of "I really hate writing right now" from last week. It's slow going, the words aren't coming as easily as they usually are (which wasn't easy in the first place), and the inspiration to write is coming in tiny droplets instead of a steady stream. But the fire of motivation got rekindled recently after having this "can do" attitude from trying to learn a piano piece that has eluded me for years, which I'll get into in a little bit.


What am I reading?

I didn't do much reading last week. But my reading list remains the same: Les Mis and The Magician's Nephew


What else am I doing?

Okay, so I mentioned just a few paragraphs ago that there was this piano piece that I've had the sheet music of for years already, but never got the chance to master it. Well... I got really frustrated with the sudden wall of "I can't do this" I've encountered with writing that I decided to continue to wallow in my misery and plunk around on my piano trying to learn a piece that I knew would anger me in its complexity.

Well... it was like my hands had this little epiphany moment. For some reason, I finally could understand the notes. I could read and play through the composition. Just... really slow. But it was a lot more than I used to be able to do.

That piece, my friends, is Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. I'll put a link of someone performing it once I get back home. The computers in the library have no audio, so I can't choose a proper recording.


I just might hate myself for even trying. Or I might finally master this thing.

Funny how Chopin told his friend, "Once I'm dead, do not publish this."

And his friend was like, "lol, k" and published it after Chopin died.

None of that was a direct quote, of course. But it's essentially what happened. Oh, friends. Can't live without 'em, eh?

So, here begins my journey to accomplish something I thought was impossible. I'll probably have snippets of recording my process to learning this song over the summer.

And because of this, I was able to jot a bit more words last week compared to the week prior. Stuff happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment