Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Word Count Wednesday - 17 May 2017

Just because the semester is officially over for me, doesn't mean that I'm going to stop writing. These posts are helping me to stay accountable, so I guess this is now a part of my weekly routine from now on.


Things I worked on last week:

Nothing. Unless you want to count all the physics formulas that I wrote down to study for my finals.


What am I working on?

Now that my summer has begun, I can write as much as my heart desires. I'm going to work on that personal project that I've started before the semester started (which shall not be named) and that novel I've been working on that I've conceptualized because of the semester (The Blighted Earth). After I'm done with those, I'm going to have a crack at finishing that "As the Winds Blow" story that I've got as a bit of a shorter companion piece to The Blighted Earth. Or work on that Wild West fantasy idea that's running around in my head for a good month now.

Needless to say, I've got a lot of things I want to work on. At least I don't have to worry about classes and homework at the time being.


How do I feel about the process?

*clears throat* Woooooooo! Summer! Yeah! Let's get this writing started!

Even though I'm starting off this summer with a bit of a deficit in productivity due to trying and later getting burnt out from to catch up in my physics class, I can breathe a huge sigh of relief and get that finals-week jitters out of me. Because of this, I've finally been able to think of other things other than nuclear physics and the the different kinds of particles that can eject from a radioactive substance. Like earlier this morning after my shower, I was able to come up with an explanation behind the "big baddie" in that one plot I was working on for a while. I already knew his character and his background and everything. And I know it's fantasy and that it often doesn't follow the same rules of the world when it's magical.

But I wanted a reason behind it. "Because magic" isn't a good enough reason for me, personally. And now that I don't have to worry about studying anymore, I finally found that reason.

It's still a bit "because magic," but at least it's got a little more believeable. Maybe.


What am I reading?

Same as last week: Les Mis and The Magician's Nephew. I'll probably add more to that list in the coming weeks.


What else am I doing?

I'm still challenging myself by learning Fantasie Impromptu on the piano. I've got the first few measures, somewhat. Baby steps. Baby steps.

As for piano lessons themselves, they're going to be on hold for a bit as I wait for my piano teacher to come back from Denmark. Likely after recording a grade-A album no less. So cool.

3 comments:

  1. By the way, how old is the protagonist in "The Blighted Earth"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to go for late teens or very early twenties since he's technically considered the equivalent of someone who's graduated their version of high school/college. Though I've been running into a bit of issue with conveying it. Portraying age is one of my struggles, to be honest.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your summer is off to a creative beginning!

    ReplyDelete