Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Word Count Wednesday - 31 May 2017

Honestly thought it was already June earlier today. But I completely forgot that May was the month with thirty-one days, not June.

Things I worked on last week:
  • Chapter 10 of something: 1641 words
  • Some short narrative I'm currently titling "Third Time's the Charm:" 622 words
Word count for this week: 2263 words

I also am doing a lot of pre-writing stuff (for the first time ever) on a new project (that is as private as the "super secret sequel" that I've been working on for a while). There's no word count yet, but a lot of scene/chapter synopses going on. And rewriting The Blighted Earth into my new bright cyan notebook just for personal reasons (that I'll get into in a bit).


What am I working on?

Those mentioned above. "Third Time's the Charm" is likely going to be posted on here in the coming weeks. Or not, considering that the subject matter is rather dark. Okay, really dark, and I'm questioning my mental health a little as to why I'm writing it. But... eh. I could always delete it from the blog if I change my mind.

As for the new project I'm doing outside of my usual impulsive writing habits and plotting for the first time, I'm actually liking it more than I thought I would. The Blighted Earth is going into handwritten form, which is a huge reason why I dont really have anything to show for at the moment.

In other words, I didn't really work on it this week. Ha...


How do I feel about the process?

For "Third Time's the Charm," I'm actually really nervous about writing this and later having the intent of posting it here later. I like to keep things positive and cheery as much as possible, but as my brain is at the moment, once there's this thought or idea trapped in there, it's never going to leave once I let it out somehow. Does it mean the writing will be good? Not necessarily. It just means that my mind's in some space right now and it won't budge its feet like a petulant, tantruming child until I give it what it wants (and later rescinding whatever means of abatement I used without it knowing).

Like that poem/not poem thing I wrote a while ago about red lights and driving off of a freeway. Yeah, that kind of space my mind's occupying. But a lot darker. Fun stuff all around.

As for the new project, it's going to be another anonymous online posting of stuff. I'm just doing it for the practice and exercise of planning scenes out before I write. I can't say I've gone full-on Plotter in this case since there's a lot of holes in the outline that I'll fill with the actual writing. What I'm hoping is that I'll have more direction of where the story goes if I do it this way, which I've struggled with reining in for a while. I've just gotten fed up and I've decided to try to do something about it.

And with handwriting The Blighted Earth, I'm liking the decision to do it this way. Since it's written in first person, it's easier to get into the character of Alir as if I'm writing the story as a personal acount from him, in a way. Like a memoir of sorts. Typing things out leaves me in a bit of a disconnect, and I find it's easier for me to write in third person like this. Handwriting feels more personal, like I'm inside the page instead of observing the words appear magically on a screen.

In regards to writing in general, I'm rather pleased with the pace I'm going at, despite having a lower word count to what I had the week prior. I'm still trying to readjust my sleeping schedule to the summer to writing during the cold nights instead of the sweltering days. I've learned pretty early on that it's easier for me to write when everyone else is slumbering, though I have no idea why.


What am I reading?

Last week, I've gotten a bit further into The Magician's Nephew. I also finally got a more up-to-date copy of Sarah Covault's narrative about Mary, Queen of Scotts attending high school and am reading that little by little as well.


What else am I doing?

My piano teacher finally came back from Denmark a few days ago, so I'm working on practicing the songs I've been assigned. I'm also still working on Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu. It's getting easier to play bit by bit, but still grossly under tempo. But it's progress at least.

I'm also trying to learn ASL again. Now that I have the time, I might as well, right?

Oh yeah, that's also another thing I have interest with: codes and languages. Last summer, I taught myself Morse code. And a little bit of Esperanto. I've known a bit of ASL for a while now, and have wanted to further my knowledge by taking classes. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to take any again, so I'm just brushing up what I know and trying to teach myself more.

(I secretly do all these things because I keep hoping that I've got some hidden talent or that I'm good at something somewhere. I don't think I found it yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment