Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Word Count Wednesday - 28 June 2017

Things I worked on last week:
  • Chapter 11: 575 words
  • A screenplay (to help me with writing a novel): 452 words
Total for this week: 1027 words


What am I working on?

As you can see, I didn't get to write 3k words in chapter 11. I had to delete most of it because it didn't flow well in the story. The word count if I had kept it would have been around 2.5k more, but I knew that 2.5k would have caused problems for me later on in the plot since it was self-contained and didn't move anything along or added any new kind of discovery for the characters. So I ended up nixing all of those troublesome scenes and started anew. Thank goodness for that Scrivener software, because I have multiple subplots that are going on and two of the subplots were fine. The others... not so much. All it needed was to choose the scenes that involved the development of this one character (that I was having issues with) and deleted only those ones. So yeah, I'm going to continue writing chapter 11.

Last night, however, without any real planning on my part, I ended up writing the screenplay of a novel idea I've been having. I tried writing it as a novel, but the action between dialogue was eluding me, so I decided to write it out as a screenplay for now. I'll fill in the novelizing bits and reformat it as normal prose later.


How do I feel about the process?

It hurt a lot to delete all those things I wrote for chapter 11. I'm generally okay to "kill my darlings" in my writing if someone or myself feels that something better could fit, but a whole 2.5k worth in a single chapter? Gah, so much writing is now never to be seen. But I've come to the acceptance that, while I like the ideas for how the scenes would play out... they were terrible ideas. I could practically feel the formation of plot holes as I was writing and I was struggling to envision the chapters that would come afterward. I thought it was writer's block. Nope, the idea was just not meant to be. I decided to go with what I feel to be a more fitting and interesting sequence of events, but still reaching the same goal I wanted for the characters.


What am I reading?

Still the same list as last week, but I've barely made any ground in any of them. I've been writing more than I've been reading (even though I've had to delete most of what I've wrote).


What else am I doing?

I've now been assigned to be the unofficial "videographer" for my online group for the team fights we've been having for this video game. (And here is where I let it all out and reveal just how much of a nerd I am, and exactly where I nerd out.) I've spend a few minutes editing simple videos for the group, and I'm finding that I enjoy it. Here's a sample of one of the fights we've done (this is also the same game I mentioned a few weeks ago where I "sniped" one of the enemy game streamers. I'm playing a different role this time):


Thankfully, the group doesn't care too much about editing anything fancy. Just put in the interesting bits. Sadly for this one video, I've had to put everything on its lowest settings because the computer was complaining (which also means no game audio).

And yes, I play Guild Wars 2. I'm a nerd. I'm pretty embarrassed about it, but hey, this is my blog. I get to share things I like and hope others do too. At some point I'm just going to have to be honest with myself and stop pretending I'm Miss Super Professional all the time because I'm absolutely not. I think this is a decent first step.

(Now... to tell my parents that they raised a nerdy girl, hahaha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment