Saturday, August 5, 2017

Word Count Saturday - 4 August 2017

Oops, forgot to take time out to make a post earlier in the week.

What am I working on?

Well, last week I completed my July Camp NaNoWriMo word count.


It was a meager goal, only 15k words for the month, but considering how much I'm just trying to weather through this rather long bout with my depression (according to my calendar it's almost two months now? Sheesh), I'm not complaining. And despite the lack of motivation, I have been able to come up with the beginnings of another plot idea. I'm going to keep it on the back-burner though. I'll likely work on it when: a) my other projects are done, or b) I get hit with a surge of unending energy and focus and inspiration that I can't keep myself from working on a lot of things at once.

Though, just in case I lose my journal that has all of my ideas (good and bad), I'll leave myself with a one-word reminder: "candlelight."

As for the word count itself... I'm not giving one because for some reason it's just too much effort to load up all the things I worked on and calculate how much I typed out (or not) on top of what's already there. I'm not feeling it this week.


How do I feel about the process?

As a quick preface, I like to imagine an alter-ego of myself living out a representation of my current mood. Like if I'm really happy, I'm imagining her flying around and feeling the breeze around her face. Or when I'm angry and the imaginary world she lives in is breaking into pieces and melting into lava to form a volcano. Weird stuff like that. Dunno, it's just something I've done since I was a child. It's fun.

(Note to self: might need to get that checked. Not sure if that's normal.)

Lately, that alter-ego is just walking in the middle of the night in a cold desert. Sometimes she sees the stars and can point out the constellations. Other times, like at the very second that I'm typing this out, nothing's out and all she is is just lonely and cold.

(Not sure what's up with me and trying to get all symbolic, but I'm getting words out and it's working so I'm not going to question it too much.)

Because of this, I haven't done much writing this week, at least nothing that I feel like bringing up just to get the work count on in and calculate it. It just feels like so much work at the moment.

Then again, it's hard to write when every time you send in an application to try to get a job and after every single rejection letter or rejection call, that evil little voice inside likes to rear its ugly head and say, "See? No one wants you. You're pathetic. You can't even get a minimum-wage job. You're not worth it. Just give it up."

You know what? Shut up, voice. No one asked you.

Ugh, I just want a break from the job hunting. It's seriously affecting my creativity and my poor muse just can't compete.


What am I reading?

Haven't done much reading. Still the same reading list.


What else am I doing?

Still job hunting. Trying to find a part-time job while being a full-time student with other responsibilities is... ce n'est pas amusant. I haven't given up, though. I'm still trying. But I feel like I'm slowly getting there.

O kidy zohjy loaa zudrag og O hry smpyjrt trkrvyopm. O kidy vsm'y yslr oy smuzptr. O sz dp idrardd, O'aa mrbrt szpimy yp smuyjomh.

2 comments:

  1. Jodee and Sarah G...

    Now that a new school year is about to begin I wanted to tell both of you that I am happy to see that you have continued to write and to post.

    I also wanted you to know that, for what it's worth, I think the two of you have demonstrated the strongest writing skills. You both have incredible potential.

    If I was Willy Wonka, this would be the part where I offer you ownership of a chocolate factory. But unfortunately, I too am a humble writer... but if I may be so bold as to say, I seem to be an up-and-coming writer, and I when I have the power to do so, I want to pay-it-forward.

    I am hoping that both of you will continue to develop stories, poems, and books... and when you feel ready to show me something, please do so. More specifically, if you write something that's within the Young Adult genre, and if I think it's strong enough, I would be happy to pass a manuscript along to my agency. Just something to think about... a small foot in the door... but there will be many other doors (and intrusive feet) in your futures so long as you keep writing.

    -- Wade

    (PS: if you ever have any writerly type questions, feel free to send me an email: profwade@hotmail.com )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I enjoyed being a student in your class last semester and it helped me to be a lot less shy about my writing, even if it didn't seem that way from the start. It was also the first time I've ever experienced how it feels to be a part of a small group of writers just working together and collaborating and giving input, when before all I had was just my own judgement since I've never gotten feedback for any of my creative writing.

      I hope you do extremely well in your future endeavors in your writing and teaching career! Knock 'em out of the park! Yeah!

      Delete